Sunday, October 21, 2012

Raffle for I.V.F. by Clara McLain

In vitro fertilization has become a very common practice, and this blog is about the winner of a raffle contest for the chance to have the I.V.F. treatment free of cost, written by Douglas Quenqua.  Though, the couple is very grateful for their win and their new child, the fact the I.V.F. treatment was raffled seems taboo to many people.  They see it as unethical.  Another woman who won a similar prize was interviewed, saying she is thankful for the win, but asked to be remain anonymous for religious reasons.   So is this raffle unethical?  I don't think so.  If infertile or same-sex couples are unable to afford I.V.F, and there is an opportunity for a free procedure, they should buy a raffle ticket if they want.


stokers.jpg
The winning couple

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/health/ethical-questions-raised-by-in-vitro-raffle.html?ref=us

No comments:

Post a Comment