Monday, September 17, 2012

U.S. Ambassador Killed in Libya- Political Debate- Taiina Ayala

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012, an attack was made on the American Consulate in Libya by an angry mob, responding to a highly insulting video made my American, Sam Bacile. The trailer of Bacile's video, uploaded onto Youtube, portrays the Prophet Muhammad as "a child of uncertain parentage, a buffoon, a womanizer, a homosexual, a child molester, and a greedy, bloodthirsty thug." Sam Bacile was quoted saying "Islam is a cancer." So because of this video, an angry mob of protestors showed up to the American Embassay for what was supposed to be a peaceful protest but of course, it turned violent and 3 people were killed, including the U.S. Ambassador, Chris Stevens. Not all details have been disclosed yet. After this incident, Mitt Romney made a statement saying, "It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic mission, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." In response to that statement, Ben LaBolt, Obama's campaign spokesman said,"We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would chose to launch a political attack."
Things like this really disturb me. There are just so many things wrong with this whole situation in my eyes. I know there is a lot of hatred in the world, but it's not every day that I hear about it, so when I do, I'm somewhat shocked. I'm ashamed that there are people like Sam Bacile in our very own country. I understand that everyone has the right to their own opinion but there's a line. You shouldn't just blatanly offend someone else's religious beliefs. Religion has, and always will be a touchy subject in this world. I don't understand why people can't just agree to disagree. How is Islam affecting Mr. Bacile's every day life to the point where he had to make this ignorant video? I am offended and I'm not even Muslim! It's just outrageous that ny of this had to happen. This is the kind of stuff that starts wars. And Mitt Romney is mad that Obama isn't "promising justice." I mean, Obama is a smart man, what is he going to do, start a whole war because of this one small group of violent protestors in Libya? It wasn't the whole country's fault, just like the making of the "Anti-Islam" film isn't all of America's fault. I don't want to offend anyone's political beliefs, as am I not the most educated person on this subject, but I do strongly believe in Ben LaBolt's comment about Mitt Romney's statement. This is not a time for a political attack. It's a time for all of us to sit back and think, and to honor the lives that were lost. This is all such a shame.


Source: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/obama-condemns-attack-that-kills-ambassador-to-libya/

2 comments:

  1. This is pretty serious but taking action like is dumb too. Declaring war on other places is not a smart decision either it makes more chaos.

    ReplyDelete