Monday, June 2, 2014

Byron Otis-Horrifying Story

Recently, inspired by internet horror stories, two middle school girls turned murderous. This is insane. This is awful. Yet in a way, I understand it. I remember being that age, and I remember the impact that the media I consumed and loved had on me. I can recall how the suspension of reality brought by these stories and tv shows and such could often continue into common life, following me and warping the world. At that age, reality doesn't have as strong a hold on you, and I imagine that, when one's mind is consumed with this gory mess, at that age, and reinforced by the similar dreams of another, terrible action could be taken. Two girls in middle school, obsessed with these stories, lured a friend of theirs into the woods after a sleepover under the pretense of "hide and seek" and proceeded to stab her nineteen times. She came very close to death after they abandoned her there, and was nearly unconscious when she crawled to a road nearby and was able to be helped by a passing cyclist. She is in stable condition now, and the two near-murderers are in custody and will be tried as adults.
God. This is so terrible. Makes me sick.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awful. I really respect your sympathetic way of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete