Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Layla Maynard: Too Close To Home

Summary: A few weeks ago, a woman in her early thirties walked up to a woman filling up her tank at a gas station in Highland Park. At first, the woman denied the request to hand over her purse, but when a knife was pulled out, the suspect reached into the car, in which there was a young boy, and took the purse. There were no injuries reported. After taking the purse, the woman drove off in a black Dodge Challenger. She was later seen on surveillance video attempting to use stolen credit cards. Authorities still have not been able to confirm the identity of the woman seen in surveillance videos.

Analysis: I had talked to my mom about this incident earlier this evening; this gas station is only a mile from my house, and a two minute walk from the pool I work at every summer. Some of my coworkers and I even walk past this gas station before or after shifts to get lunch at nearby restaurants. The fact that this happened so close to me was just startling. Especially since there's not much authorities can do to prevent this sort of thing from happening. And considering the fact that Highland Park is known for being a relatively safe neighborhood.

Source: http://www.parkcitiespeople.com/trending/woman-robbed-at-knifepoint-at-shell-station/

2 comments: