Saturday, March 2, 2013

U.S. Pennies going away?- Taiina Ayala

 As many countries, including New Zealand and Australia, continue discontinuing their lowest form of currency, the United States is staying strong... for now. Currently, there are no official plans of ridding the nation of the 60 millimeter wide circle of bronze. But, officials say that if Congress did decide the time of the penny was over, the process of discontinuing them would be fairly quick. But are pennies really necessary? Even David Steckling, owner of Gold-N-Silver Rare Coin Company, admits "Most people consider them a inconvenience." Ironically, it takes two cents to make a penny. ^.^ Another discussion has been brought to our attention: Is a penny worth anything (besides one cent, of course?) In the past, up until 1982, pennies were made with a fair amount of copper. In fact, the very first pennies were made completely of copper. Now, however, they are made of copper-plated zinc, which is hardly worth anything. Once again, there has not been a decision made by Congress just yet, but it is expected by experts to happen within the next two years.
I personally thing change in general is a huge inconvenience. I myself never use it! I know people who use it for vending machines or toll roads but I haven't been put in either of those situations so to me, coins are just another way to make my purse heavier. However, I feel that coins, especially pennies, are very interesting. There is such a long history associated with them. Sometimes I like to look at the dates on all my pennies and find the oldest one. I think the oldest one I've ever found was from 1912. That's a long time ago! And the year of the Titanic sinking! Very interesting. Overall, I wouldn't be too surprised or sad if the penny was eliminated from our U.S. currency.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/02/penny-not-going-away-yet/1958995/

No comments:

Post a Comment