Monday, May 26, 2014

Four Rabbis Indicted for Kidnapping- Casey Lampert

Four Rabbis in New Jersey were indicted on the charges of kidnapping men and violently forcing them to divorce their wives. This is because orthodox women can't get a divorce until their husband signs a document called a "get". The rabbis allegedly would beat and torture the Jewish men until they decided to sign the get. If charged they could face life in prison.

Since I myself am Jewish this article was really confusing for me since I practice a different, less strict type of Judaism than these Orthodox men do. To hurt and torture people just to profit or receive a divorce just seems wildly absurd especially when you make it based on completing a document. It's incredibly sad that this would be how these men chose to behave since as Rabbis they're supposed to be a religious authority for the community. I hope that they are proven innocent but the alleged crimes are truly disappointing.

http://news.yahoo.com/four-rabbis-indicted-jersey-kidnapping-charges-012648488.html

1 comment:

  1. For a second I thought the word was "rabbits" but whatever. Anyway, one should not make another do something that they don't want to do or vice versa. I hope for the best for those men!

    ReplyDelete